This year I have chosen a word to describe my goals for the year. I have chosen the word ‘Simplify’.
I really want to simplify my life.
For me this means-
* Declutter and organise our small house so we all feel comfortable and happy to be in it.
* Get back to basic cooking from scratch instead of buying highly processed food.
* Focus on eating healthy, good nutritious food.
* Go to bed at a decent hour so I have the energy to get up in the morning in time to get everything done that I need to in my day.
I am hoping that by focusing on these things, other things will fall into place. By getting enough sleep each night, I will be able to have the energy and time to prepare good nutritious basic meals, by eating good food, I will have the energy to exercise and be fit. All of which will make me feel better, be better and more healthy and would lead to a happier family all round.
So yesterday we got started (now that we are back from our holiday) and rearranged and decluttered the whole loungeroom. It feels so good to have it done. I want to be in that room all the time now lol. I also baked banana bread using bananas that were on special and made banana chips and fruit roll-ups in the dehydrator for snacks.
This morning I got up when Zoe woke up for her morning feed and stayed up instead of going back to sleep until Matilda came in. I had time to get Shannon his breaky, make his lunch and have Tilly’s breaky ready for her when she got up. I spent the rest of the day finishing off the loungeroom, some general cleaning, and prepared a lovely meal of Chicken Pie and vegies for tea.
I thought I would share the recipe with you too since it’s so yum.
Chicken Pie (My darling sister Tammie shared this recipe with me).
* Take 3 skinless chicken breasts trimmed or 1/2 kg of chicken thighs, just cover with water in a large saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
* Drain, chop small (shred).
* Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
* Line base of pie dish with pastry ( I made my own, you could use 2 sheets of shortcrust pastry though but homemade is so much nicer 🙂 ).
* Blind bake for 10 minutes (I didn’t bother but you could for a nice crunchy base).
* Heat 50g of butter in a saucepan.
* Add one large finely chopped onion.
* Cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
* Whisk in 3 tablespoons of plain flour and 1/2 teaspoon of dried Thyme.
* Stir for 2 minutes.
* Add 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 cup cream.
* Whisk until it thickens (3-4 minutes)
* Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken.
* Add one cup of chopped vegies (you could use frozen vegies here if you like).
* Season with salt and pepper.
* Spoon filling into pie dish.
* Decorate the top with pastry.
* Beat 1 egg yolk with water and brush over the top.
* Cook until golden brown. Approx 40 minutes.
Matilda wanted to take a photo of her dinner too (too cute) –
Tomorrow I want to get stuck into getting the kitchen organised 🙂